Monday, February 9, 2009

Preacher goes from Praise The Lord to Plays The Floyd



Jim Bakker, disgraced televangelist and former head of PTL ministries is singing a new tune with Australian Pink Floyd.

As a member of the 18 person horn section Bakker, 62 helps to recreate the sounds of one of the most popular bands in the world. "I've always loved performing, and I've always loved Pink Floyd." said the now long-haired Bakker. "I remember going back to my dressing room between tapings of PTL." he continued, "I would listen to 'Animals' to get pumped up for the next show."

Animals was Pink Floyd's classic 1977 album that introduced the world to 'Pig', their floating mascot of sorts.

Bakker said he learned to play the french horn while he was in prison for fraud.

In 1987 Bakker was convicted of stealing funds that were being collected for a PTL theme park. "Yeah, my cell mate Iggy turned me on to the power of the brass." the transformed preacher said during our interview, which was being conducted while the band was in Prague for a 2 week engagement. When asked if he thought he was too old to rock, a mellow, grinning Baker responded, "Hell no. I'm the same age as David Gilmore bro."

At that point a stunning young girl came from the bar area and sat on Bakkers knee. "This is Connie," he said with a wink. "She ain't no Tammy is she?" he asked with a wry grin that was spread from ear to ear. We all erupted in spontaneous laughter. Jim was referring to his former wife Tammy Faye Bakker, famous for her ghoulish clown makeup, who died of rectal cancer last year.

As high fives were being exchanged, the call came for sound check. "I'll put you on the list for the after party." he told me.

It's only rock and roll but I like it.

REUTERS NEWS AGENCY.

No comments: